lordlad's Blog - Days gone bye...

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Change the world or change for the world...

I've been thinking a lot lately about my current career path...that is in the field of IT Support. Currently, I am a SL1 Support Engineer in Deutsch Bank, holding the title of 'Team Lead'. It all sounds dandy and it's anything but that. My job, essentially, is to support the IT infrastructure of all the bank employees, be it director, presidents or the lowest associates..... Unfortunately, most of the people starts to widen the aspect of 'IT' and starts to make me do things i'm not suppose to do.

Move furniture.

Carry PC.

Setup HP (!!??? WTF??!!)

Help the overseas IT support (that apparently, as far as i know, is an IT illiterate and earn twice the salary)

My Dad did not spend thousands of dollars on my education and i did not 'waste' decades of my life studying just to move furniture. Just to carry PC from point A to Point B. I am an IT Support. NOT a phone Support. Call fucking Singtel/Starhub/M1 !!! If the overseas IT support do not know what to do, i am GLADLY available to help. For once. For twice. NOT EVERYTIME!!! They might as well give half of their paycheck to me.

All these bullshit really makes me think hard for my future. And the final nail in the coffin is when during once of the department move, i was in the meeting where they discussed the different furniture going to be distributed to the different departments. The comment that pissed me off is when they said the traders will get the better furniture, if there were any leftover, then the IES (basically IT dept) can choose. Sons of bitches !!!!

The effort i put in my studies & work is no less than those business graduates, and yet, those fresh business grads are already getting more paycheck than me. Why am I 'punished' because i choose to study IT? It's not fault!! I study IT not because it's my interest, but because it's the subject i hate the less after O level. And basically i am going to pay the price for a wrong choice i made eons ago. I might get Distinction for my Final Year project, i might be a living IT knowledge base, able to solve the toughest programming code and able to slough 16 hours a day and yet i am earning less than them for their half the effort.

I begin to realized, that the money makers were not the creators, the one that 'know stuffs', but rather the ones that know 'manage stuffs'. Microsoft may be the richest company in the world but i bet Bill Gates has nothing to do with any coding in the latest version (or any version since Windows 98), yet him (and the stockholders) were the one getting the fat paycheck, getting the fruits of the labor while the REAL creators (programmers, bug testers, support) will continue to slough and yet not recognized and getting the reward they deserved.

I want to be achieve a certain personal assets level.

I want to attain a certain society status level.

And IT is not the path for that. At least not IT Support (and programmers, testers, administrators, system engineers, web designers, etc).

I can't change the world to appreciate the IT line. I can't change the world. And so i will change FOR the world.

So that does it, i am switching line. Not now of course. But i give myself 2 - 3 years. I am switching to business. Fortunately, i have nothing to lose. Both my parents were working and certainly can live (quite sparingly i might add) without my monthly 'miserly' allowance. I have no life partner, no kids, no nothing. I definitely am still 'young' (age 25 as of this writing..not 'fresh grad' young but definitely needs more roughing) so can just abandon everything start from scratch. And i am. Currently I am taking a Degree in IT & Business but the IT part is definitely in my back burner. Of course, nobody can succeed in business just by studying and in fact, i am getting this degree just for the paper, not the knowledge because the 'educationing' of business starts in the real world, not in tutorials or textbook.

It's a tough road ahead. But i'll pull through. I'll fall down but i'll stand up again. I'll fail but i've been failing all my life so one more isn't a big deal. But i'll come back. I will be in business. Those people that looks down on me will bite their own tongue. It'll be a long rough path but i'll make it. DON"T wish me luck. I don't believe in luck. I don't believe in luck (or god for that matter). I believe in myself. I am the miracle. And i will perform it on myself.

Till then...

Out.

1 Comments:

  • I know its a tad too late to post a comment since this incident happened in the year 2007, but I guess its ok being a 'VIRGIN'. You're a man and single, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it sweets. But I guess your guilty conscience is pricking you..live life to the fullest sweets.

    Anyway you look cute..lol.


    Cheers,

    Definite stranger

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home